This autistic linkspam episode has some links that should have gone in the last one except I forgot to check my feed reader again before posting. 😛 I blame the post-LARP brain that I had that day. Anyway, here are more links.
- Last news post I linked to a petition about Sharon Joy Kochmeister. Here’s Evil Autie explaining some complications to that case that I didn’t know about [TW abuse]
- Also here’s a follow-up to Dani and Emma’s post about imposing behaviourism on oneself [TW more abuse]
Meanwhile, there’s been a lot of buzz about a book called NeuroTribes. It’s by an NT author who has extensively researched the history of autistic community and activism.
- Here’s a review of NeuroTribes by Patricia George-Zwicker
- The author, Steve Silberman, also wrote an op-ed critical of Autism Speaks in the L.A. times.
- Autism Speaks responded to NeuroTribes and the op-ed, calling Silberman “divisive” and calling for unity. There has been a lot of critique by autistic people of what exactly Autism Speaks means by “unity”. Here are some examples: